Re: Re: PHP MS-DOS

DvDmanDT wrote:
Yes, but it's still a windows app.. :p I think it uses windows funtionality,
that doesn't exist in dos (with dos I don't mean console windows, I mean
real dos, with no windows loaded at all).. It's not using windows specific
stuff, or at least it doesn't really depend on it, but it uses stuff that I
doubt exists in dos..

This is a good discussion. I believe you're correct although no one has ever pointed out to me exactly what things do / don't work in an old DOS shell. For example:

- Would the filesystem functions work?
- Would TCP/IP connections work the same?
- Would basic int / string / float / etc. variables be stored in memory the way that they are in Windows?
- Would system calls have input, output, and / or error redirection?
- Is shared memory managed the same way as in newer versions of Windows?

<wild-guess>
Certainly there are a lot of other areas that might pose problems for various tasks that PHP can handle. I *don't* know what all of those areas are, let alone *if* those would be problems with using an old version of MSDOS. I'm willing to bet that shared memory would be a problem, but if you weren't trying to use threads in PHP (e.g. just a CLI version of PHP) then maybe this isn't even an issue.
</wild-guess>

--
Teach a man to fish...

NEW? | http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html