RE: Cannot load mysqli extension error or login prompt

Having your extensions dir in your path is less important than having your
php.ini file set up properly.

Take a look for this section:

; Directory in which the loadable extensions (modules) reside.
extension_dir = "C:\php\extensions"

This happens to be where my extensions are kept on my machine... and that
dir isn't in the PATH. I don't even having C:\php in my PATH and I can run
scripts and phpMyAdmin just fine.

I'm not sure about question #2 - I just set up phpMyAdmin step-by-step and
it worked fine. It's just been a long time since I set it up.

-M