RE: Post method not working

-----Original Message-----
From: Janet Valade [mailto:jvalade@xxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, October 21, 2004 2:05 PM
To: Brian; php-windows@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re:  Post method not working

Brian wrote:

> OK, I'm new to php, so be gentle :)
>
> I have just installed PHP 5.0.2 on Windows XP Pro\IIS 5
>
> I am learning PHP with one of those step by step books, and I have run
into

Books you have with you are very old. Now  register globals are by
default off in PHP. You have to use $_GET array for GET method  or query
string and $_POST array for POST method. See your php.ini for more
details about register_globals

Zareef Ahmed.

> an issue with forms.  They don't seem to be getting the variable I am
> passing.
>
> This code works:
>
> <?
> $testvar = "this is a test";
> print $testvar;
> ?>
>
> But this does not:
>
> <?
> print "You chose a $borderStyle border";
> ?>
>
> Even when I put 'filename.php?borderStyle=test' in the browser, with
the
> entire url of course, it still only shows the print text, but not the
> variable.
>
> Any thoughts?  I have also verified that the mappings are set with
.php with
> verbs set to all or even GET, POST.

I'm not entirely sure what you are asking. But I think it might be that
you need to use

$borderStyle = $_GET['borderStyle'];
print "You chose a $borderStyle border";

or for a posted form

$borderStyle = $_POST['borderStyle'];
print "You chose a $borderStyle border";

Janet

--
Janet Valade -- janet.valade.com