Virtual Host Problem - WinXP Home, Apache 1.3.31, PHP 4.3.8

Hi all, i'm having trouble getting virtual hosting to recognize subdirectories of my root directory. i go over my phpini, hosts and httpd.conf file additions/edits and then i discuss the unexpected results that i'm getting.  tia for any suggestions to get back to the land of the expected.

PHP.INI FILE

doc_root = "c:\web"
extension_dir = "c:\php\extensions"
extension=php_pgsql.dll
extension=php_dbg.dll-4.3.6

HOSTS

127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.0.1 site1.com

HTTPD.CONF

ServerName localhost
DocumentRoot "C:/web"
<Directory "C:/web">
DirectoryIndex index.php index.htm index.html
SetEnv PHPRC "c:/php"
ScriptAlias /php/ "c:/php/"
AddType application/x-httpd-php .php
AddType application/x-httpd-php .htm
AddType application/x-httpd-php .html
Action application/x-httpd-php "/php/php.exe"
NameVirtualHost 127.0.0.1
<VirtualHost 127.0.0.1>
 DocumentRoot "C:/web"
 ServerName site1.com
</VirtualHost>
when i type in localhost or site1.com into my browser, i'm taken to the index.php file in c:\php as one wouold expect.  however, when i update my virtualhost directive to...
NameVirtualHost 127.0.0.1
<VirtualHost 127.0.0.1>
 DocumentRoot "C:/web/site1"
 ServerName site1.com
</VirtualHost>
then i get taken right back to C:/web instead of C:/web/site when i type in site1.com.  i can't get apache to recognize lower level folders using the virtualhost directive.