PHP and Java

I learning PHP and have two test environments set up.
My home environment runs PHP5 as an Apache 1.3 module
on a Windows Me machine. My work environment runs PHP5
as an Apache 1.3 module on a Windows 2000 machine.
Both machines have their CLASSPATH variables set to
include a directory with Java classes in it
(CLASSPATH='.;C:\javalinks').

On the Windows Me machine, my PHP scripts can run the
Java programs and return the output:

  $java=shell_exec('java JavaProgram');
  echo($java);

But the same scripts do not seem to execute the Java
programs on my Windows 2000 machine.

Any ideas why, or how I can get my PHP scripts to
execute Java programs on the Windows 2000 machine?

Thanks,
Kelly