Re: User Level Access Control Priviledges

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 13:52:33 EDT, trystano@xxxxxxx <trystano@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am encountered with what seems a potentially difficult  system to
> implement. I need to implement a user level access control system. The  application I
> will create is a consultancy application, with various user  categories, where
> each user category will have access rights to a particular  table (or possibly
> individual fields in each table).
>
> A user group can  have the following: no access, read access, write access.
> and depending on their  group, they will be able to view and manipulate certain
> pieces of information  that are contained in tables.
>
> What I want, is more or less similar to the  way in which MySQL implements
> privileges and level control for users.
>
> I  originally planned to implement this into MySQL database, but now feel
> that it  would be best if I implemented were to code it. Yet, I may still
> implement it in  MySQL if its a simple enough solution. I am to look into both
> methods.
>
> Does anyone know how I can best implement this (or would be able  to start me
> off so that I could take it on further), or know of any online  tutorials?
>
> Your help is greatly appreciated.

By "implement in mysql", do you mean implement it in the server itself
in C? If so, if you're not submitting your source back to mysql, it
would be a pain to keep it in sync. Also, they just might not accept
the code.

If you need a system to plug into a PHP script, there are some good
permissions packages out there. One is:
http://pear.php.net/package/LiveUser

--
DB_DataObject_FormBuilder - The database at your fingertips
http://pear.php.net/package/DB_DataObject_FormBuilder

paperCrane --Justin Patrin--