User Level Access Control Priviledges

Hi all,

I am encountered with what seems a potentially difficult  system to
implement. I need to implement a user level access control system. The  application I
will create is a consultancy application, with various user  categories, where
each user category will have access rights to a particular  table (or possibly
individual fields in each table).

A user group can  have the following: no access, read access, write access.
and depending on their  group, they will be able to view and manipulate certain
pieces of information  that are contained in tables.

What I want, is more or less similar to the  way in which MySQL implements
privileges and level control for users.

I  originally planned to implement this into MySQL database, but now feel
that it  would be best if I implemented were to code it. Yet, I may still
implement it in  MySQL if its a simple enough solution. I am to look into both
methods.

Does anyone know how I can best implement this (or would be able  to start me
off so that I could take it on further), or know of any online  tutorials?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Tryst