Re: PHP5 questions

On Saturday 17 July 2004 22:06, Jeff Hill wrote:

> * Install.txt still refers to InstallShield, but you're using Wise. Is this
> an oversight, or is the distributed copy of Install.txt back-level?
The docs have always said that, and I've always used Wise. I think
InstallShield is being used in the same generic sense that some use the word
Hoover to mean vacuum cleaner.

> * it appears that "php.ini-dist" is being installed rather than
> "php.ini-recommended". Is this by design?
This is by design as most windows cgi installations are used for development
purposes. I'm sure nobody is really daft enough to connect a windows machine
to the internet for production purposes :)

> * on my system IIS4+ was initially selected. Does this indicate that it
> detected IIS5, or is it just a default value?
Just the default value.

> * I then selected IIS6 (carelessly, as I have it running on a different
> box). Near the end of the install a system dialog was displayed complaining
> about missing file C:\WinNT\system32\iisext.vbs. After responding to the
> dialog, the install hung and had to be killed via task manager. The Install
> log never got created so I could not run the uninstall.
I'll look into this.

> I reran the install and selected IIS4 which completed normally. I next
> walked thru the manual steps in Install.txt to check what Install did (or
> didn't) do:
>
> - Install.txt recommends setting security on php.ini to give Everyone read
> access. Had to do this manually. Should the installer have done it?
Perhaps. Do you know what access php.ini had before you changed it?

> - The section on IIS/PWS covers registry settings and mentions a reg file,
> "pws-php5cgi.reg". This file was not present in either the installer or the
> full zip version.

This file is only required for manual installation, but I'll pass the info on
so that it gets included in the zip version.

> - the text refers to adding the ScriptMap string value; I assume the
> "example" value should refer to "php-cgi.exe" (not "php.exe")? Or, see
> next...
Indeed it should.

> - The zip distribution also includes "php-win.exe", which is the same size
> as "php.exe". Should the installer actually have used "php-win.exe" and
> renamed it to "php.exe"??
I'm pretty sure that the installer is correct in using php-cgi.exe.

> - In the discussion of using Internet Services Manager, there are two ways
> to get there:
>
> 1. If you go in thru the Computer Management MMC, you see Services and
> Applications, and within that, Internet Information Services. Here it lists
> the "Default Web Site", and the Properties selection in the context menu
> takes you directly to the Properties so ou can access the Home Directiry
> tab.
>
> 2. When you go in via Control Panel, it displays the named server, and
> after you click Properties in the context menu you then need to click
> Master Properties. From there you can access the Home Directory setting.

> I'm not sure whether master Properties is the right way to go; perhaps
> Install.txt could clarify this. Also, the Install.txt instructions had us
> set the mapping manually manually on the previous page.

> - In the next paragraph, the text refers to "Method Exclusions"; my dialog
> has "All verbs"

I'm sure the php-doc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx people would be delighted to receive a
modified and more accurate version of the installation instructions if you
have time.

> When I got all done I created a test file in a test folder. I consistently
> got 404's. I checked the permissions. I checked the folder name. I checked
> everything three times. I put a test HTML file in the same folder and it
> found that fine. I ran a command lin etest and that worked file. I verified
> the php.ini location an settings.
>
> The problem turned out to be the recommended setting for "doc_root" in
> Install.txt. It says c:\inetpub, but it should be c:\inetpub\wwwroot. Not
> knowing how it was going to be used internally, I didn't spot this at
> first.
Again, we need to tweak the docs. I think from reading all the above, that if
you had run the installer and selected the correct webserver, it would have
actually done the job properly and left you with a working system (it doesn't
set doc_root). Let me know if you have time to tweak the docs yourself - even
if there are things you are unsure about you can just stick some questions
in. Im sure we can ten pass that by someone in the know. I have completely
abandoned Windows now and only use it to build the php installer so my
knowledge of setting up IIS is becoming hazier by the day!

Cheers
--
Phil Driscoll