Re: PHP5 questions

Phil,
Here's what I've encountered so far. In all cases I've selected Advanced so
I could see what was being set by default, and to set the SMTP stuff.

* Install.txt still refers to InstallShield, but you're using Wise. Is this
an oversight, or is the distributed copy of Install.txt back-level?

* it appears that "php.ini-dist" is being installed rather than
"php.ini-recommended". Is this by design?

* on my system IIS4+ was initially selected. Does this indicate that it
detected IIS5, or is it just a default value?

* I then selected IIS6 (carelessly, as I have it running on a different
box). Near the end of the install a system dialog was displayed complaining
about missing file C:\WinNT\system32\iisext.vbs. After responding to the
dialog, the install hung and had to be killed via task manager. The Install
log never got created so I could not run the uninstall.

I reran the install and selected IIS4 which completed normally. I next
walked thru the manual steps in Install.txt to check what Install did (or
didn't) do:

- Install.txt recommends setting security on php.ini to give Everyone read
access. Had to do this manually. Should the installer have done it?

- The section on IIS/PWS covers registry settings and mentions a reg file,
"pws-php5cgi.reg". This file was not present in either the installer or the
full zip version.

- the text refers to adding the ScriptMap string value; I assume the
"example" value should refer to "php-cgi.exe" (not "php.exe")? Or, see
next...

- The zip distribution also includes "php-win.exe", which is the same size
as "php.exe". Should the installer actually have used "php-win.exe" and
renamed it to "php.exe"??

- In the discussion of using Internet Services Manager, there are two ways
to get there:

1. If you go in thru the Computer Management MMC, you see Services and
Applications, and within that, Internet Information Services. Here it lists
the "Default Web Site", and the Properties selection in the context menu
takes you directly to the Properties so ou can access the Home Directiry
tab.

2. When you go in via Control Panel, it displays the named server, and after
you click Properties in the context menu you then need to click Master
Properties. From there you can access the Home Directory setting.

I'm not sure whether master Properties is the right way to go; perhaps
Install.txt could clarify this. Also, the Install.txt instructions had us
set the mapping manually manually on the previous page.

- In the next paragraph, the text refers to "Method Exclusions"; my dialog
has "All verbs"

When I got all done I created a test file in a test folder. I consistently
got 404's. I checked the permissions. I checked the folder name. I checked
everything three times. I put a test HTML file in the same folder and it
found that fine. I ran a command lin etest and that worked file. I verified
the php.ini location an settings.

The problem turned out to be the recommended setting for "doc_root" in
Install.txt. It says c:\inetpub, but it should be c:\inetpub\wwwroot. Not
knowing how it was going to be used internally, I didn't spot this at first.

At any rate, I'm up and running in about an hour, not having known squat
about php to start with. Nice job!
Thanks,
...Jeff