RE: Re: ODBC or MS SQL DLL? WAS: Using PHP on Server 2 003...

I agree, and that's why I said you were lucky.  I work with databases that
use the UNICODE data types nvarchar and ntext.  Neither of these types are
supported by DB-Library, and there are no local fixes. The odbc ext also
does not support these types because it does not make use of the UNICODE
version of the ODBC API. So, in order to continue using PHP, the odbtp
extension had to be created.  The use of the word "better" or "best"
pertains only to odbtp's support for SQL Server within PHP, and not
its ability to be used by a legacy system.  However, I think you are
underestimating the latter. It appears that you have convinced yourself
that you will have to change your code without verification.

Support for all of the mssql_* functions was added in ODBTP 1.1. While
it was not possible to test it in every way imaginable, it did pass all
of PEAR DB's tests for the driver written with the mssql_* functions.

In the end it is your choice, especially since I will not be held
responsible by your superiors if something goes wrong. However, don't
knock it til' you've tried it. :-)

-- bob