RE: Re: ODBC or MS SQL DLL? WAS: Using PHP on Server 2 003...

On Tue, 2004-04-06 at 18:14, Robert Twitty wrote:
> On 6 Apr 2004, Svensson, B.A.T. (HKG) wrote:
>
> > Maybe, but I still need to add code, and that means more code to
> > maintain, more code to execute, more loopholes for bug, etc.
> >

> That's precisely why odbtp is better.

> You don't have to perform loopholes like those suggested by David
> to accomodate for bugs that will never be fixed.

>   The bugs in the php_mssql.dll are not the fault of it's creator,
> but rather DB-Library.  Microsoft stop supporting it after SQL Server 6.5,
> and will never fix its bugs.  The problem I had was that there were
> no loopholes for the bugs I encountered.  For example, there is no
> loophole for not being able to execute
>
>   SELECT * FROM SomeTable FOR XML AUTO
>
> Personally, I don't like the idea of having to change perfectly good SQL
> in order to work around driver imperfections. Anyway, good luck, and stay
> away from real, nvarchar and ntext fields, I wasn't as lucky. :-)

One should be careful using word as "best" and "better".

Maximizing fitness (finding the best solution) is done by locating a
global maximum, it might be that odbtp is part of a global maximum, but
if one is at local maximum, then before one decides to go to the global
maximum, one need to look at the energy function to traverse from the
present local maximum to the global maximum. If this is high, and one
can find a another suitable local maximum close by with involves a
minimum of energy to reach then this local maximum can be consider a
better chose then the global maximum.Optimal solutions are sometimes
better than the best solution.

In short, things are not black&white, but gray. :)

On a more practical level: this is a situation every developer has to
face: should I take the time to replace the present, know to work, code,
with new code and a new API that will need the the entire machinery of
learning/writing/testing/debugging or should I make a fast, and
reliable, fix, that one know will work, and will solve the present
problem?

Most developers will opt for the last solution, since it fix the problem
and (s)he can continue with the work that really needs to be done.