Re: Proper coding?

Jim Macdiarmid wrote:

In the index.php file I have the following code:

require_once('include/db_connect.php'); require_once('include/db_functions.php');

/* includes commonly used functions */
require_once('common.php');

$sphist_rec_count =
GetRecCount('RecentActiveSpaces','RECENT_SPACE_COUNT');

In my db_functions.php, I have the function called GetRecCount(). It
basically retrieves the
Record count from a mySQL table. For some reason, the "db_object" object
doesn't get created unless I include the db_connect.php inside the GetRecCount function. Something

This sounds like a problem with your PEAR::DB object's scope. Without more information about your db_connect file it's hard to say exactly what's wrong. However, you if you go to this page you should be able to figure out what's wrong:
http://www.zend.com/manual/language.variables.scope.php

tells me that this is not proper
Coding, and I was wondering if someone could tell me if there is another
way to do this?

common.php: require_once 'include/db_functions.php'; require_once 'include/db_connect.php';

index.php:
require_once 'common.php';

Now any file that uses common.php will have access to db_connect.php and db_functions.php

Thanks, Jim