Proper coding?

Fellow PHP list members,

I'm hoping you can share your knowledge and help me.  I'm incorping the
PEAR:DB module into my scripts and I'm running into a situation.  To
make a long story short..  I basically have 2 files. Index.php and an
include file I'm calling db_functions.php which I'm creating myself.  **
NOTE: watch for wrapping **

In the index.php file I have the following code:

require_once('include/db_connect.php');
require_once('include/db_functions.php');

/* includes commonly used functions */
require_once('common.php');

$sphist_rec_count =
GetRecCount('RecentActiveSpaces','RECENT_SPACE_COUNT');

In my db_functions.php, I have the function called GetRecCount(). It
basically retrieves the
Record count from a mySQL table. For some reason, the "db_object" object
doesn't get created unless
I include the db_connect.php inside the GetRecCount function.  Something
tells me that this is not proper
Coding, and I was wondering if someone could tell me if there is another
way to do this?

Thanks,
Jim