Re: How to create an instal file?

On Tue, 2004-03-16 at 16:50, Tony Devlin wrote:
> Does anyone have a good reference on how I can create an install file, that
> based on a form that the client fills out will create a database, setup the
> default settings, adjust the database with the fields entered by client.
> Including creating the table and changing all database information to
> the information supplied by the client?

That depends on what you want to install, doesn't it... ?

For instance what do you mean with  "create a database"? Really creating
a new database instance, or just a table to collect some realted
information in?

Or "adjust the database with the fields entered by the client". What
does this mean? Do you want to alter an table, or just insert some
semantic in a table, or do you want them to be able to enable/disable
them from a prefix table, or what?

> I know a good example is PHPBB2, however I can't seem to disemble their
> install structure.  I'm just looking for a good tutorial or reference or
> maybe someone can point me to a book that explicitly talks about how to
> do such a task.

My favorite is "SQL the Standard Handbook"
by Stephen Cannan and Gerard Otten.

You will need nothing more.