How to create an instal file?

Does anyone have a good reference on how I can create an install file, that
based on a form that the client fills out will create a database, setup the
default settings, adjust the database with the fields entered by client.
Including creating the table and changing all database information to the
information supplied by the client?

I know a good example is PHPBB2, however I can't seem to disemble their
install structure.  I'm just looking for a good tutorial or reference or
maybe someone can point me to a book that explicitly talks about how to do
such a task.

Thanks,

Tony