* CONFIG:

PHP version 4.3.4
IIS version 6.0
MS SQL server 2000
Windows 2003 server - dual Pentium

phpinfo(): safe_mode:  off
phpinfo(): max_execution_time:  1800s
phpinfo(): mssql.timeout:  1800s

IIS: website script execution time:  f.a.p.p. unlimited
IIS: website sessions:  keep alive.

RDBMS: query execution time:  unlimited

* WHAT HAPPENED:

while running a long running query php.exe is visible
in the task manager for 6 minutes, then it dies with
out telling anything - what so ever!

* DISCUSSION:

This query works just fine if the query process data quickly,
let say in about 30 to 60 seconds, but when the query needs
to be processing data for ~25 minutes, php will exits after
six minutes and then the database seams then to be doing a
rollback for the next 20 minutes or so on the transactions
made by the php connection.

Before php exits the RDBMS responds normal - but has a CPU
load of 100%. After php exits the RDBMS does not respond any
more or respond very sluggish. I can see no kind of I/O
activities with the RDBMS, only 100% CPU load. The RDBMS
keeps in this state for about 20-30 minutes, then the RDBMS
goes back to normal operation again.

Any suggestion on what might be going on here is welcome.

--

To readers of SYP@yahoogroups.com:

Ursakta engelskan.