Problem with Notices

I have the following error writes set in my php.ini file:

error_reporting  =  E_ALL & ~E_NOTICE

For a long time, that worked just fine - giving us only errors/warnings
that we needed to see.  Now, all of a sudden, we are getting notices
written to the error file.  It's a problem because there are a number of
valid ones, and they get in the way of trying to track down genuine errors.

I've tried creating a new php.ini file; I've even copied a new php
directory over from a working machine.

No luck.  Any clue as to how we can ditch these notices?

thanks
Madeleine D.