RE: querying more than one db from a php page?

You might run into the classical update problem if you
allows update in different databases and then wants to
syncronize the databases with each other. To prevent
update anomalies like this you need a lock mechanism
between the databases. Check your RDBMD documentation
on this.

However if you only do updates on the main site and then
propagate the update to the "sub" sites, you might like
the RDBMS to handle this by it self, if so you should
check if replication between databases can solve your
problem.

If you do updates from the main site only and propagate
them to the sub sites then I do think that you should not
run into any particular problem since the aporach is
straight forward.