PWS exec(), system(), shell_exec()

I saw quite few post on this and none of them
worked on my Win98SE PWS.
I wonder if anyone got it to work and what
is your settings.

I can get each command to start but they
never returned and, therefore, the browser
keep waiting. For system(), I can see the output
but the next php statement never get executed.
For shell_exec(), it doesn't show anything.

Both command works on command line:
C:\>php.exe xxx.php

My Win98SE is setuped with default user as ''
(i.e. empty) which I have trouble install
PWS without error. I create a seperate account
and was able to install PWS without error. But
it doesn't matter what I do, I got the same
result.

Can anyone help? Thanks. Duncan