handling SQL dot notation in PHP

When using SQL in PHP I have run up against a small issue when working
with larger SQL queries...specifically when using alias table names.  PHP
doesn't like the "." used to seperate the table/field name.

Here is an example:

$query = "SELECT Role.display_Name from Northwind";

This generates an error because of the "." symbol in the query.  This is a
very rudimentary query used simply for ease of understanding of the
problem...but on a larger query where it is necessary to denote
field/table relationships using the period becomes crucial.

How can I get around PHP's issue with the "."?

Thanks,
ROn