RE: [PHP] PHP Apache (GLOBALS) question

[snip]
I have installed Mandrake Linux and it comes standard with
Apache PHP and MySQL.  You can install all these rpms through
the server selection....Anyway.

In my test environment it is function city and of course
register globals were on.

Now I have Taked my PHP.INI-DIST  set the globals to on and
copied it to my /etc directory.

It worked like a charm....but guess what.  I can't create a
connection string to my database.  Now I have to find a solution
to get this website to work with globals on and mysql.

I have tried adding an .htacess with the php globals override
thing

php_value "register_globals" "1"

Ok this didn't work.

So I found the Mysql-PHP RPM on my mandrake cd (of course
enabling my php.ini file) and it didn't work.

I'm getting closer to a solution but I am stuck.  Why won't the
htaccess file work?  I would like to use my php.ini file but it
is not configured for mysql, how could I fix this?  Is there
anything I can do for either of these two questions to get my
globals on?

I swear I will never use functions again if someone helps me.
[/snip]

Actually this sounds like a bunch of mutually exclusive things.

1. Can you run MySQL from the command line?
2. Register_globlas has nothing to do with the connection string to
MySQL
3. Can you show us your connection string code?