[PHP-WIN] problems with mysql connections not closing

OS: Win 2k
Web Server: Apache 1.3.27
PHP: 4.1.2
MySQL: 3.23.39

really can't tell if this is a coding issue, a software issue, or just a
random bug somewhere...

basically we have a fairly large intranet, serving up several thousand
pages/hits everyday to mainly mac/pc users. somewhere, in all this, there
are some connections to the database not being closed. there's no real way
for us to tell where this is happening yet, although we're gonna put in some
extra log tables to try and trap when exactly it's happening.

surely PHP should close every database connection once the page has been
served up tho? and surely it should leave a lot more open than just 1 or 2
if it were a coding issue?

are there any known issues with this kinda configuration with this kinda
randomness? we manage to fix it using some repair utilities, but this isn't
a solution really. it says that there is some connections left open with
soem clients, so this then locks certain tables, and kinda shuts down parts
of the database.

we will be upgrading the system soon, but we're putting it all onto a new
box, so don't want the hassle of doing an upgrade now, and then again in a
few weeks.