odd steam install location?

I am trying to track down a crash in Steam (Steam itself, not a game through it). In following appdb instructions for Steam I realized that it was installed in /home/tparker/.local/share/wineprefixes/steam/drive_c/Program Files/Steam/steam.exe and not in :~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files> where I had expected it, although that second directory does have a SteamInstall.msi sitting in it but no Steam folder.

Is this normal for Steam or could it be part of my problem?