Re: Wine for command line only (Darwine/MacIntel)

On 2006-11-17 15:54:29 -0500, Daniel Skorka <skorka@xxxxxxx> said:

Dennis <dtempleton-at-virginia-dot-edu> wrote:
I "installed" the Darwine x86 package by copying it to the applications folder. Not surprisingly, not having it installed into /usr/bin I can't access this via the terminal. The FAQ is silent on this.

You just copied the package? Not even extracted it? I don't know how
things are done in the Mac World, but I'll hazard the guess that this is
not sufficient to install software.

Yup, it seems so to me, but here is the info from the package:

How to Install
Drag and Drop the folder Darwine to your application folder.
!

Actually, this install works for the test apps, that use X11 windows. However, they don't lead to a usable command line.
A lot more poking around lead to this thread:
http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=18111
Which has some instructions that look like a "real " install.
I'll try to come back and report, but that's what I have learned so far

What am I missing, should I move this or a central program to the bin file? Should I build it separately from this binary?

You should _install_ the package by whichever means are appropriate.
What is "Should I build it separately from this binary?" supposed to
mean?

Codeweavers is providing Mac-centric ports of DarWine for the new Intel Macs, but they are also focussed on installing complex window-based programs, and their faq is silent too.

Codewavers provide a flavor of wine which is suited to use certain
complex windows-based programs that vanilla wine is unable to run
correctly.