Re: Running Turbo C

On 11/07/06, Paul Romanyszyn <arcelectronics@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Dotan Cohen wrote:

> On 10/07/06, Paul Romanyszyn <arcelectronics@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> I installed via rpm dosemu 1.2.2.0 via rpm. Compiling from source is a
>> problem to get freedos installed correctly.
>

> Yes, I have them installed, via apt-get.
>
>> In AN xterm
>> xdosemu
>

> dotancohen@ubuntu:~$ xdosemu
>
>   You do not have the DOSEMU vga font installed and are running
>   remote X. You need to install the vga font on your _local_ Xserver.
>   Look at the readme for details. For now we start with an fixed font,
>   which does not display all national characters correctly.
>   ... be warned
>
> ERROR: Unable to open console to evaluate the keyboard map.
> Please specify your keyboard map explicitly via the $_layout option
> ERROR: X support not compiled in
>
> dotancohen@ubuntu:~$ sudo updatedb
> dotancohen@ubuntu:~$ locate dosemu | grep readme
> dotancohen@ubuntu:~$
>
> As explicit as those error messages are, I'm unable to find the readme
> or to google anything relevant.

dosemu will run in a xterm. xdosemu makes it's own using the GUI. It may
require more parts of the dosemu project.
http://dosemu.org/
I have compiled from source for several version but every time I would
upgrade my distro it required doing some research to get my eprom
programmer working on the printer port.

Not sure that I follow you. What else must I install? Or better yet,
where is that readme so that I can do wat it suggests?

>> This fires up freedos in a new xwindow with some text and a c:>
>> Copy tc.exe to the freedos C:\somedirectory
>>  From the c:>
>> cd \somedirectory
>> tc
>

> When I do finally get to that point, would it suffice to just copy
> over TC.EXE? Doesn't that depend upon other files in the /TC
> directory? At least on /TC/BIN?

As a test I just copied the tc.exe. I am not using the debugger or
anything else in the IDE. I did see a tcconfig.exe which I did not copy
for the test. I was copying from a qemu/bochs  installed simulated
harddrive.
There could be some problems with the turbodebugger or the IDE when it
tries to set breakpoints.
Wine will run BC++4.5 more or less. It will compile projects but won't
run them under the IDE.

Well, I do need to run them under the IDE. Otherwise I could just use
Kate and gcc.

For that matter, is there not a native linux app that lets one compile
and run (an IDE)? I've tried Eclipse and Ajunta, but they don't seem
to do C.

Dotan Cohen
http://what-is-what.com