Re: wine install failure after reqression tests

Mr Duck wrote:
paul wrote:

I added the missing rpms until ./configure worked. Finish the makes su to install and the same error of can't find libwine.so when running wineprefixcreate.

  So, just that I'm clear, you got 'configure' to run, and 'make' to
run, right?  You do know that there is a Mandrake/Mandiva package
available for Wine?  It's located at the following URL:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=6241&package_id=80066

  I know that doesn't solve your problem, but it could be a solution.

  Anyway, so, you ran 'configure' with whatever options that you
needed/wanted.  Did you run 'make depend' next?  The libwine.so
file is created during the 'make depend' build event, so obviously
this is extremely important.  The library files are subsequently
created in the source dir "libs/wine" with symlinks in "libs".

  I'm wondering if maybe this step you missed?  That would be
my best guess.

  Once that step is finished, then run 'make'.

Mr Duck

p.s. I'm running some tests on building wine from source right
now. It's taking a bit, so once it's finished, if I can deduce
any further information that will help you, I'll let you know
at that time.
I have been building from source for over 2 years without any problems.
I compile cvs and test a few of my 16 bit applications every few days to look for regressions and to see if any of the bugs I have filed are fixed.

The ./tools/wineinstall script sets the defaults as follows:

CONFARGS=""        # configure args, e.g. --prefix=/usr
prefix=/usr/local  # installation prefix
bindir=$prefix/bin # where winelib apps will be (or are) installed
libdir=$prefix/lib # where libwine.so will be (or is) installed
BINDIST=no         # whether called from a binary package config script

Using
./configure && make depends && make
su make install

did not work but ./tools/wineinstall works on my new system but not on my original system.

This may be a clue and as to my problem on the original system when wine in uninstalled.

bash-3.00$ which wine
which: no wine in (/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin/:/usr/games)
bash-3.00$ which wineprefixcreate
which: no wineprefixcreate in (/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin/:/usr/games)
bash-3.00$ wineprefixcreate
bash: /usr/local/bin/wineprefixcreate: No such file or directory

It seems that a files in the bin directory are remember even when they don't exist.

Paul R