Re: system, system32 and dll overrides

Marius Schrecker wrote:
STOP PRESS: even when symlinked to system the application complains. If I
symlink them to system32 (without an override) everything loads without
warnings. The overridden shell32 seems to load fine from system.

Wine recently changed from using system to system32 as the default directory for DLLs.

As far as system32 is concerned, the application installer put a number of
native dlls in there. The (rather old) vfp/wine documentation I have found
suggests that some of these should be loaded in native form, so I'm
guessing that I DO need to create explicit overrides for these to avoid
the builtin versions being loaded. .... or do files in system32 get loaded
automagically (see STOP PRESS)??

If there is no Wine version of a DLL, then Wine will automatically look for a native version. No override is necessary. In general, you should first try running the app with no overrides, and only add overrides if necessary for a specific app. About the only exception to that would be msvcrt.dll, where you are generally better off with a native version (though there has been quite a bit of work on this one lately). And VFP generally supplies it's own msvcrxx anyway.