Re: [Wine]Quicken fonts

Mark Knecht wrote:
Would you have an idea of what to look for?  I've got time but am
ignorant of exactly what would be useful.  Thanks for any pointers!

I don't know what will show up in your file but maybe as a first step search for any of the text strings on that page:

Update/Send

Cleared Transactions

Yup, a few lines of each.

and see if they are there. If so maybe there is info around them about
the font that's being chosen? Search for some strings that render well
whether the bad ones show up or not.

Look at the enviromental variables page. Maybe you'll get an idea
about other info to trap instead of just the font stuff.

http://www.winehq.org/site/docs/wine-user/x2183

I think I'd have to know quite a bit more than I do to be able to *intelligently* use *any* of them.

As a learning experiment I tried running Notepad as you are running
Quicken and looking at the info. In the first part of the file I find
long lists of fonts that Wine is discovering and putting into lists,

trace:font:GetTextMetricsW text metrics:^M Weight = 400 FirstChar = 32 AveCharWidth = 5^M Italic = 0 LastChar = 65532 MaxCharWidth = 30^M UnderLined = 0 DefaultChar = 0 Overhang = 0^M StruckOut = 0 BreakChar = 32 CharSet = 0^M PitchAndFamily = 27^M --------------------^M InternalLeading = 3^M Ascent = 11^M Descent = 3^M Height = 14^M

So, I guess my thought is that your 53MB file is probably holding some info that would help, but as Duane says it's probably going to be difficult to dig out.

Yes, I have many (thousands?) of lines like these. I tried comparing the sections surround the bad text entries to those surround some "good" text entries. I can't see any meaningful difference. At least meaningful to me. It might be staring me in the face though and I might not notice. If I had debugged for more than just fonts (how big would *that* file be?) there might be other useful info. I just don't know.

I think I'm realizing that it is fairly pointless for me to attempt any form of debugging with wine. It takes a knowledge level that I simply don't possess. I believe that I'll just have to deal with a real Windows partition for awhile longer.

I have a similar one I'm trying to learn about. One app that doesn't
display the menues correctly. There is attachment to this bug report
that I'm trying to figure out: