Re: [Wine]old Wine from CVS

Julian Hall wrote:

I'm sorry to correct you, but it is indeed possible. Through bad programming/carelessness, Netscape 2.0* was designed to use the same memory address area as certain Cirrus Logic graphics cards...

Hardware complicates things greatly. What you are talking about is indeed possible there, because on PCs as I understand it, hardware does not use virtual addressing. I vaguely recall that Sparc computers had/have hardware memory management, eliminating even that path.

For what it is worth, I design hardware (including a couple of computer boards) for a living.

I was addressing two programs, where it is much more difficult (as already stated, my knowledge in this area is limited). Not impossible, because software sometimes talks to hardware, makes OS calls to an operating system in different virtual address space, makes graphics calls, etc. But I believe it is actually impossible for a program to directly alter the address space of another program. My understanding is that is why "cracks" generally have to rely on trickery such as putting bad data onto a stack in order to get it to another program to hijack the operation. If one program had direct access to the memory of another, such tricks would be a waste of effort.