Re: [Wine]old Wine from CVS

Julian Hall wrote:

How much memory does the machine the problem occurs on have onboard? It may be that the program in question is encroaching on memory used by another application / hardware device, or else it has fallen foul of a maximu memory constraint of either the hardware or software, and the memory block simply cannot be addressed because it is too high?

Take what I say here with a caution; I am not really very knowledgable in this area. In general, I believe on modern operating systems including Windows ;) and computers, that is not really possible. Each program has it's own virtual address space, generally of some very large amount like 2-3GB, even if you don't have that much real memory. And one program is not able to encroach on another's address space, even with bad programming. It sounds like magic, but it is really sophisticated memory management that actually seems to work. In general, memory corruption is a problem where a program writes over something within it's own address space that it was not supposed to, causing itself to crash but nothing else. And that appears to be what is happening here.

That is of course a separate problem from memory exhaustion. But even then all that should happen is disk swapping, which slows program operation to a crawl, rather than a crash. All three of us have the same symptoms, so that is unlikely to be the problem. In my case, I have 1GB, and don't come close to exhausting memory.