Re: error while starting up Excel (wine cvs)

the rating for excel xp isn't good at all, I think your only hope is probably
crossover office, it runs office xp out of the box, but it isn't free.

I just installed the trial version of Crossover Office.. totally amazing... it's quite interesting - the point at the Office installer quits while installing the system components using wine, the setup using Crossover doesn't.. it installed fine and I have Excel/Word/PPT running fine.. and somehow it seems a lot faster than what it is on Windows or Mac..

Oh the reason why the install using wine quit saying it can't find the OSP1.CAB file on the CD was since the cdrom wasn't mounted with the unhide option.. Crossover figured this one out.... hopefully this will save someone else the same trouble.. (of figuring out the unhide option)..

Openoffice may be a solution for you, it comes with most linux distros and is
compatible with office xp, also see http://www.openoffice.org

Yes, I've been using Openoffice for a while now... there are some things that Openoffice can't do (in addition to some issues with compatibility), for example, adding a trendline to a curve and showing me the equation for the fit and the corresponding R^2 value.. but it's free software (and it's great for most purposes) so I can't complain and hopefully Openoffice will get there someday.. I only use the spreadsheet since most of my document editing is done in LaTeX/LyX...

Thanks,
nirmal