Re: If Wine isn't am emulator how does it work

On Wed, 2015-07-15 at 13:37 +0200, Florian Pelz wrote:
> I suppose people disagree on what can be called an emulator. The term
> is often used for those slow CPU emulators though.

Be careful before calling at least some of them slow.

I'm currently running OS-9/68000 applications on an emulator - that's
Microware's OS-9/68000 which runs on Motorola 68xxx chips, so the
os9exec emulator is both a software 68000 emulator as well as providing
an almost complete re-implementation of the OS-9 v2.4 operating system
so it can give access to native Linux files as well as those on an OS-9
disk image and use SSH for user access in place of serial terminals.

I used to run OS-9 v2.4 on a 25 MHz 68020, a pretty hot 32 bit chip
when I bought it back in the 1990s. Now same software is being run
under the os9exec  emulator on a 64 bit Dual Athlon system, clocked at
3.2GHz. There is no speed comparison: the emulator is very much faster
than the 68020 hardware ever was. Not surprising when you consider that
the Athlon's clock speed is 128x faster than the 68020 and that the
display is now SSH over 10 Mb/s Ethernet rather than a Wyse-120
terminal running at 9600 baud.

Martin