If Wine isn't am emulator how does it work

Sorry about this noob question, but this is something that has been boring
me. So Wine is a compatibly layer that tricks windows based apps into
working on Linux. But isn't that what an emulator does? I know emulators
more typically visualize the hardware which uses more recesses, but there
are also high level emulators which just create the environment.

isn't any software that tricks a program a forum of emulation. Or is it
more specific then that?

Another question I'd like to ask is if you could offer any help in install
Wine to an offline system. Is there a download link to the main .deb or the
repository or something. I use Linux Mint.