Re: PLEASE add bug links!

On Sun, Aug 18, 2013 at 6:00 PM, Ken Sharp <kennybobs@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 18/08/13 17:35, Francois Gouget wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 18 Aug 2013, Ken Sharp wrote:
>> [...]
>>
>>> We have some instructions on Bugzilla's bug submission page (currently
>>>>

>>> Just add the link to the Wiki.
>>>

>> It's there already. Since you don't seem to know that it means you've
>> either never entered a Wine bug (but you made claims that seem to
>> indicate the contrary), or that you yourself don't read the instructions
>> on how to enter a bug. So why do you expect others to?
>>

> I know it's already there. Given I have just update a load of Wiki links
> on how to correctly do all of this, who are you trying to blame for not
> read this stuff?
>

>> So I stand by my assessement that you have unrealistically high
>> expectations of others,
>>

> You aim very low.

Ken, wishful thinking will not get people to enter this sort of data.
The AppDB/Bugzilla interaction is bad enough for users and developers
familiar with Wine, I can't tell you how awful it is for users who just
want to file a couple of bugs for their favourite apps (that's if they're
even familiar with the concept of an issue tracker in the first place).
You have to have two accounts. That alone is a showstopper for most people.
And then you have to file related information on the two separate sites.
Oh, and that's if you at all figure out the correct version of the software
to add the bug link to.

Francois is right; you have unrealistically high expectations. And this
isn't about "aiming", it's about having the basic grounds for users to even
think about adding the bug links.

If you want this, you have to add an optional field in the bug report page
"Applications affected". With autocomplete on the names. And get rid of the
duplication for bug links between versions.
And provide common accounts for *.winehq.org.