Re: "Attempt to load C runtime library incorrectly"

PortlandGTS wrote:
> err:winediag:X11DRV_WineGL_InitOpenglInfo The Mesa OpenGL driver is using software rendering, most likely your OpenGL drivers haven't been installed correctly (using GL renderer "Software Rasterizer", version "2.1 Mesa 7.7.1").

Reinstall your graphics driver.

> I'm running Wine 1.4.  I assume that's the latest version.

The latest version is 1.5.5.

http://wiki.winehq.org/winetricks

> Also, I've seen the phrase 'clean wineprefix', and believe it means to create a fresh Wine environment, but I'm not clear on how to do that.

Delete or rename ~/.wine, then run winecfg to create new one. If you have 64 bit Wine installed, create a 32 bit only wineprefix with

Code:
WINEARCH=win32 winecfg

After that try to install vcrun2008 with the winetricks you downloaded.

You didn't mention what version of Ubuntu you're using. 12.04 is very broken with regards to Wine, and if that's what you're using, you may not be able to get this to work until the upstream bugs are fixed.