ACM using TrueSpeech codec (acmStreamOpen())

Hi all, I and a few others are trying to implement Yahoo voice chat under Linux. Since Yahoo uses the TrueSpeech codec, we are trying to load the TrueSpeech DLL directly under Linux. mplayer can play TrueSpeech files already, and it appears that it contains portions of Wine code to do so. But mplayer cannot create TrueSpeech files as far as I know.

We have ripped the relevant code out of mplayer and coaxed it to convert a TrueSpeech file to plain old PCM format. However, when I attempt to go the other way (PCM to TrueSpeech format), I always get an error when calling acmStreamOpen(). The error code is ACMERR_NOTPOSSIBLE.

The next thing to do is to try and compile my code against libwine instead of the Wine code from mplayer, but I'm having a very difficult time understanding what I need to do for that to happen. I have never written a Windows application before, and if I could get acmStreamOpen() to work correctly I could just go back to the world of Linux programming. :)

Has anyone used the ACM and/or TrueSpeech codec successfully and has some ideas? It may just be something wrong with the parameters I'm filling into the WAVEFORMATEX structs. My code is pretty straightforward, it's about 6 KB uncompressed if anyone can take a look. Thanks for any help.

-Rob