Some dsound oddness

I had noticed a few weeks ago that sound for me on Riven was now having problems. It used to be almost perfect, but now it was suddenly doing things like changing pitch and speed, losing sync with the video, and breaking up.

Of course I initially suspected a regression, though no one else mentioned problems. I just now got around to spending a bit more time on it and found it was not a regression. I checked just about everything, including kernel and ALSA upgrades, before discovering that it was the file /c/window/QTW.ini.

It had previously contained:
[Sound 32]
DisableAutoRateAdjust=1

And now contained:
[Sound 32]
RequestedRate0=22050
ActualRate0=22450
RateAlgorithm0=0

Changing it back fixed the problem. I guess while I have it "fixed" now, if anyone had some additional enlightenment on what is going on here, I would be interested.