By-election for open CAV Executive Committee seat

2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

From: Danielle Charlton <d.charlton@xxxxxxxxxx>

Hello volcano community,

It was wonderful to see so many of you at Cities on Volcanoes 12 in
Antigua, Guatemala. A big thank you to all who participated and made it an
amazing week.

The Cities and Volcanoes Commission would like to* announce a by-election
for an open seat on the CAV Executive Committee*, and pre-announce the *call
for a new CAV secretary.* Apologies for any cross posting with those of you
on our mailing list.

*By-election for open CAV Executive Committee seat*
First, we would like to extend our sincere thanks to Diego Mauricio Gómez
Martínez, who was elected in January 2023 and is stepping down. As a
result, we are holding a by-election to fill the open CaV Executive
Committee seat. In brief, *candidate packages are due 27 March 2024 at
21:00*, and *anonymous online voting by CAV members will occur from 29
March - 11 April 2024* (all times HST
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.timeanddate.com/time/zones/hast__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!dLmDpaK5LqBo8xLkQsONNkrCaEKgmS7oSSANoMwD9hJmKcFyifUV3-ZhdgufA4rL3q0JlcM_y2fh0akUivlDgsssNQ$>).
If you are not sure you are a member and would like to vote, sign up here.
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://wordpress.us17.list-manage.com/subscribe?u=55c72a6a40a8ee318f7cd50e5&id=70aeef25f1__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!dLmDpaK5LqBo8xLkQsONNkrCaEKgmS7oSSANoMwD9hJmKcFyifUV3-ZhdgufA4rL3q0JlcM_y2fh0akUivnATwBtow$>

Please refer to information below and to the commission webpage
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://wordpress.us17.list-manage.com/track/click?u=55c72a6a40a8ee318f7cd50e5&id=a7543bdd3d&e=25dda967b6__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!dLmDpaK5LqBo8xLkQsONNkrCaEKgmS7oSSANoMwD9hJmKcFyifUV3-ZhdgufA4rL3q0JlcM_y2fh0akUivkNTVhWCw$>,
which outlines the role and responsibilities of the CAV Commission and its
Executive Committee.

*CAV Commission Executive Committee Overview:*

   - The CAV Commission Executive Committee consists of five Commissioners
   (among the five, one is the leader, one is a past CAV leader, and one is an
   ECR), who are supported by a Secretary and Special Projects Coordinator.
   The current list of Commissioners is available online
   <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://citiesonvolcanoes.wordpress.com/about-us/__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!dLmDpaK5LqBo8xLkQsONNkrCaEKgmS7oSSANoMwD9hJmKcFyifUV3-ZhdgufA4rL3q0JlcM_y2fh0akUivkzeM6zJQ$>
   .
   - The Commissioner elected in this by-election will serve until the end
   of the current term in 2027; the next election will be held before the IUGG
   assembly in 2027.
   - The CAV Commission is strongest when there is geographic and
   professional diversity in its leadership. In the past, the commission
   leadership has been dominated by Aotearoa New Zealand and the United States
   and the academic (including government scientist) sector. We encourage
   candidates that promote geographic and professional diversity, particularly
   from Latin America, Africa, Southeast Asia or the Pacific (excluding
   Aotearoa New Zealand and Australia), and from outside the physical sciences
   (e.g., emergency management, civil defence and the social sciences). *We
   particularly encourage candidates who have served on past COV Local
   Organizing Committees and/or Program Organizing Committees*, as these
   individuals hold valuable knowledge and experience related to the mission
   of the CAV Commission.
   - Please note that according to the IAVCEI Statutes & By-Laws,
   commissioners need to be current IAVCEI members.

*CAV Commissioner role, responsibilities, and expectations; note this is a
voluntary position:*

   - Evaluate proposals and voting on selection of the host of Cities on
   Volcanoes (COV) conferences, held every 2 years.
   - Provide guidance and oversight to COV conference local organizing
   committees as needed.
   - Support the ongoing mission of the CAV commission and COV conferences.
   - Contribute to the promotion of safe, supportive, diverse and inclusive
   participation at COV conferences.
   - Ability to navigate confidential and sensitive conversations and
   maintain confidentiality (for example, of the identity of COV host
   candidates).
   - As CAV Commission Executive Committee meetings and business are
   conducted in English, proficiency in English is required. Proficiency in
   additional languages is desirable.
   - The time commitment varies from 1-2 hours per month (most months) to
   up to 3-5 hours in a week; the busiest times will be at specific parts of
   the COV bid process and in the lead up to COV conferences. The timing of
   busy periods is generally known a year or more in advance.

*How to run for the open seat:*

   - Send your candidate package via email to the CAV Commission leader
   Natalia Deligne (ndeligne@xxxxxxxx), who is coordinating the by-election
   process.
      - Include *CAV Commission by-election 2024* in the email subject
      heading
      - *If a candidate package is sent on behalf of someone else, the
      candidate must confirm via email that they wish to stand for the election
      prior to the deadline.*
   - The candidate package must include:
      - Full name and contact email address
      - Current role and affiliated organization
      - A CV or short description of work (1 page encouraged, 2 page limit)
      - A statement on why you should be elected to the CAV Commission
      Executive Committee, including what perspectives and abilities you would
      bring (maximum 500 words)
      - *Please note that the candidate package will be shared with CAV
      membership as part of the election ballot.*
   - The deadline for candidate packages is Wednesday 27 March 2024 at
   21:00 HST
   <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.timeanddate.com/time/zones/hast__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!dLmDpaK5LqBo8xLkQsONNkrCaEKgmS7oSSANoMwD9hJmKcFyifUV3-ZhdgufA4rL3q0JlcM_y2fh0akUivlDgsssNQ$>
   .

If you have any questions, please contact Natalia Deligne (ndeligne@xxxxxxxx)
and Danielle Charlton (d.charlton@xxxxxxxxxx). Elections will be held
online from approximately 29 March - 11 April 2024; only CAV commission
members will be allowed to vote. We will contact the elected incoming
Commissioner the week of 15 April 2024 and will announce the election
results via our membership mailing list shortly thereafter.

*Pre-announcement call for new CAV Secretary*
After the new CAV Commissioner has been elected, we will announce a call
for a new CAV secretary, as after 6 years of excellent service, Danielle
Charlton will be stepping down (thank you Danielle!). This position is
appointed by the CAV Executive Committee. We will provide more information
in our call, which should come out in late April. We hope to fill the
position by the end of May.

*IAVCEI Cities and Volcano Executive Committee: Natalia Deligne (CAV
leader), Alana Weir (ECR rep), Angela Doherty, Graham Leonard (past
leader), Danielle Charlton (secretary) and Carina Fearnley (special
projects coordinator).*

2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2