COMET+ Webinar 27 March 2024: Fabien Albino (ISTerre)

1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1

From: Yasser Maghsoudi Mehrani <Y.Maghsoudi@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Dear Colleagues,

COMET (The Centre for Observation and Modelling of Earthquakes, Volcanoes,
and Tectonics) invites you to the next installment of
our COMET+ webinar series, viewable from the home office.

*Using local GNSS observations for improving InSAR atmospheric corrections
over tropical volcanoes*

*Wednesday 27th March 2024 at 4pm UK time* (4pm UTC / 5pm CET / 9am PDT)

*Fabien Albino*

Institute of Earth Sciences (ISTerre)

*Please register at: *
https://universityofleeds.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_03EJEnVpSVSK6VTXgag40w
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://universityofleeds.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_03EJEnVpSVSK6VTXgag40w__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!bW3JVL2ellvekzznH7_KaJfzn2OXt6x6EjsF5u9xGmM7djt3Fpp679FnqIjXUCwJkY-hPCnqVPaZdJkw6Z2iL13Ghg$>

(After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing
information on how to join the webinar)

*Abstract:*

>From differential radar interferometry, tropospheric artefacts often
prevent the detection of subtle ground deformation signals. In recent
years, tropospheric corrections derived from global weather-based models
delivered by the ECMWF have been implemented in several InSAR processing
chains. Here, we test the performance of the common weather models, ERA5
and GACOS, on two tropical volcanoes: Piton de la Fournaise and Merapi. For
Piton de la Fournaise, we show that the reduction of the atmospheric noise
is efficient for only ~30% and ~60% of the datasets for GACOS and ERA5,
respectively. For Merapi, the performance reaches ~40% for GACOS and ~50%
for ERA5. In addition, we implement a workflow to produce tropospheric
correction maps based on GNSS Zenith Tropospheric Delays. We then compare
the performance of GNSS models to the one obtained from global
weather-based models. For well-instrumented volcanoes as Piton de la
Fournaise, the gain of performance is about 25%. For Merapi, GNSS models
based on 5 stations are as efficient as ERA5 models with the advantage that
GNSS models can be obtained in near real-time. The proposed workflow can be
implemented in many volcanoes where few GNSS stations are available,
contributing to more accurate monitoring of volcanic unrest.

Catch up on past COMET and COMET+ webinars on our YouTube page:
*https:/www.youtube.com/channel/UCtFDytX1hgjvlS4NH48M2oQ/video
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtFDytX1hgjvlS4NH48M2oQ/videos__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!bW3JVL2ellvekzznH7_KaJfzn2OXt6x6EjsF5u9xGmM7djt3Fpp679FnqIjXUCwJkY-hPCnqVPaZdJkw6Z3-Mj2y9A$>*

Best wishes,

Isabelle Taylor & Yasser Maghsoudi

COMET - Centre for the Observation and Modelling of Earthquakes, Volcanoes
and Tectonics

*https://comet.nerc.ac.uk/
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://comet.nerc.ac.uk/__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!bW3JVL2ellvekzznH7_KaJfzn2OXt6x6EjsF5u9xGmM7djt3Fpp679FnqIjXUCwJkY-hPCnqVPaZdJkw6Z3DSjzIrQ$>*

1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1

Volcano Listserv is a collaborative venture among Arizona State University
(ASU), Portland State University (PSU), the Global Volcanism Program (GVP)
of the Smithsonian Institution's National Museum of Natural History, and
the International Association for Volcanology and Chemistry of the Earth's
Interior (IAVCEI).

ASU - http://www.asu.edu/

PSU - http://pdx.edu/

GVP - https://volcano.si.edu/

IAVCEI - https://www.iavceivolcano.org/

To subscribe to the volcano list, send the message:

subscribe volcano

to: listserv@xxxxxxx, or write to: volcano-request@xxxxxxx

signoff volcano

to: listserv@xxxxxxx, or write to: volcano-request@xxxxxxx.

volcano@xxxxxxx.  Please do not send attachments.

End of Volcano Digest - 14 Mar 2024 to 15 Mar 2024 (#2024-24)