Ashvances in Tephra Hazard Modelling seminar: Fukashi Maeno and Hannah Moore (02:00 UTC, 29 November 2023)

1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1

From: Paul Jarvis <p.jarvis@xxxxxxxxxx>

Dear colleagues,

We are delighted to invite you to join us for the next instalment of the
Ashvances in Tephra Hazard Modelling seminar series, organised by the
IAVCEI Commission for Tephra Hazard Modelling. This will take place at *02:00
UTC* on *29 November 2023*. Please *use this time zone converter
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html?iso=20231129T020000&p1=1440&p2=54&p3=236&p4=196&p5=248&p6=396&p7=264&p8=103&p9=224&p10=155__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!bhZk6zcaOoZPDORtWBS0RB6c007OtlrMAOnX5Gm1GOSqTc_pCb6JiEDFw3Zbwepq1RBV6J1jGCeC26KJenU$>
check the time of this seminar where you are*.

It is our pleasure to welcome, *Fukashi Maeno* (University of Tokyo)
and *Hannah
Moore* (University of Tasmania) as our speakers. They will be presenting:

   - Hannah Moore: *Sedimentation modelling of multi-vent Plinian plumes: A
   case study of the 1886 Tarawera eruption*
   - Fukashi Maeno: *Abrupt changes in eruption style in large-scale
   eruptions of mafic volcanoes*

If you would like to attend the seminar, *please register **here*
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://events.teams.microsoft.com/event/1380b8e8-afa7-401d-b0bd-7220aaddbe3f@f607a494-56fb-4073-8fc5-6daa9c5d38d7__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!bhZk6zcaOoZPDORtWBS0RB6c007OtlrMAOnX5Gm1GOSqTc_pCb6JiEDFw3Zbwepq1RBV6J1jGCeCmA1JDtM$>
.

We recognise that the time of this event will not be amenable to everyone.
We aim to rotate our seminars around different time zones as much as
possible to reach audience members from across the globe and give everyone
an equal and fair chance to participate in the seminars. We are currently
in the process of creating a YouTube channel where we will host the
recordings from our seminar series. Stay tuned for more information.

We are always looking out for new speakers in future seminars. We aim to
hold a seminar every quarter (c. 3 months), with each seminar lasting for
about an hour. Two speakers will be allocated 15-20-minute talks with 5-10
minutes for questions. The last 10 minutes will be kept for general
discussions, e.g., how the Tephra Hazard Modelling Commission can serve you
better, and socializing/networking. At least one of the talks will be by an
early-career researcher, and we will use this seminar series to showcase
the work of researchers with backgrounds underrepresented in volcanology.
Time zones will be selected based on the location(s) of speakers and we
will aim to rotate these as much as possible to reach audience members from
across the globe and give everyone an equal and fair chance to participate
in the seminars. We aim that by having two talks per seminar, each session
will cover multiple topics, including but not limited to numerical
modelling, field studies, laboratory experiments and risk
communication/management. *Please use this
form https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://forms.gle/z7LB3TJDWauD3qCs6__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!Z8RMRqqai5ohfZkyTZAV52m039y3MGtd42MitDJ0ATKb47OXHTRaHq3iVT5HUgQdVDq7xjPwDTIwqi61$
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://forms.gle/z7LB3TJDWauD3qCs6__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!ZYbhk9h-Mu55gmuoIMwvyIC8M7kzQzsnRi4gp6yn6R6g390Oz7FTA4cXbI5RMdelaV_WHtdXISDx-y_Zhg$>**
register your interest in being a speaker or suggest a student/colleague*.
We particularly encourage (self-) nomination of diverse and early career
scientists.

We look forward to seeing many of you on 29th November and to welcoming
interest from some great speakers for future seminars. *Please donâ??t forget
that you can sign-up to our commission and mailing list anytime at **this
link*
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=IAVCEITHM&A=1__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!ZYbhk9h-Mu55gmuoIMwvyIC8M7kzQzsnRi4gp6yn6R6g390Oz7FTA4cXbI5RMdelaV_WHtdXISByX8UyVQ$>
.

All the best,

Alastair, Paul and Thomas

Co-chairs of IAVCEIâ??s Tephra Hazard Modelling Commission

1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1