AGU 2023 Session V009 - Data Driven Science Applied to Magmatic and Volcanic Systems

1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1

From: Maurizio Petrelli <maurizio.petrelli@xxxxxxxx>

Dear colleagues,

We would like to bring your attention to the session *V009 - Data Driven
Science Applied to Magmatic and Volcanic Systems* taking place at the 2023
AGU Fall Meeting in San Francisco from December 11 to 15, 2023.

We invite you to submit an abstract before *the deadline on August 2, 2023*.

Session description: Pre-eruptive and eruptive processes are often
investigated by synthesizing limited data and observations with laboratory
and numerical experiments. However, increasing data quality and quantity
combined with advances in data science and machine learning methods allow
models for various processes to be derived directly from data. Data-driven
approaches are being applied to geochemical, petrological, seismic,
geodetic, and imagery data in volcanic settings. These approaches can be
used to detect and characterize volcanic activity,  model  pre- and
syn-eruptive processes, and make forecasts.  Much work remains to recognise
the potential of data science and machine learning in petrology and
volcanology while also understanding the limitations and precautions
involved with using these approaches that can be perceived as black boxes.
We welcome experimental, analytical, numerical, geophysical, and
field-based studies addressing volcanic systems that try to develop,
combine, and discuss volcanic processes from classical and data-driven
perspectives.

All the best,
Maurizio Petrelli (University of Perugia)
Gabriele Morra (University of Louisiana at Lafayette)
Josh A. Crozier (USGS, California Volcano Observatory)

1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1