AGU Session V005: Are we recording? Challenges, comparisons and advancements in measuring and interpreting magma decompression rates

2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

From: "Andrews, Benjamin" <AndrewsB@xxxxxx>

Dear Colleagues,

On behalf of my fellow conveners, I invite you to submit an abstract to AGU
Fall Meeting Session V005: Are we recording? Challenges, comparisons and
advancements in measuring and interpreting magma decompression rates
(confex.com)
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm23/prelim.cgi/Session/191241__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!cYuemIVQpogrXYJf-QIKaoaiV84k78mwqtivk8MLThfRoxAOi5t3XwmkRFBGWxb2lLOXpgYeZYgCkOUKs88e$>

The speed that magmas rise to the surface and decompress affects many
processes within the conduit, including degassing dynamics,
crystallization, and fragmentation. Decompression rate exerts a first order
control on eruption style, with fast rates more likely to result in
explosive eruption. For those reasons and because decompression rates
provide historical perspective on the ascent time from storage to eruption,
understanding these rates is important for volcanic hazard forecasting and
mitigation. This session will bring together different techniques for
determining decompression rate, including but not limited to melt
embayments, volatile diffusion gradients, microlite and bubble size
distributions, mineral reaction rims, seismicity and numerical modelling.
In particular, we seek studies that examine the sensitivities of
speedometers, describe how cooling (or heating) during ascent may be
recorded and complicate speedometry, and discuss how rates might vary from
the conduit base to the vent or from the start to end of an eruption.

The deadline for abstract submission is 2 August. Additional information
about the AGU Fall Meeting can be found at AGU Fall Meeting 2023
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.agu.org/Fall-Meeting__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!cYuemIVQpogrXYJf-QIKaoaiV84k78mwqtivk8MLThfRoxAOi5t3XwmkRFBGWxb2lLOXpgYeZYgCkCf4Eqwe$>

Cheers,

Ben

Benjamin Andrews, Smithsonian Institution

Madison Myers, Montana State University

Laura Waters, New Mexico Tech

Behnaz Hosseini, Montana State University

2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2