IAVCEI 2023 SESSION: “Calderas and geothermal energy”

2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

From: "Gerardo Carrasco Nuñez" <gerardoc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Dear colleagues,

We would like to invite you to submit an abstract to our session entitled:
*â??**Calderas and geothermal energyâ??*, which is within the Scientific
Symposia called: *â??Volcanoes, energy, resources and the environmentâ??*. The
deadline for submitting the abstract at the next IAVCEI Scientific Assembly
(Rotorua, New Zealand, Jan 30 to Feb 3, 2023) is September 2nd, 2022

*Session description:*

Volcanic systems are a common source of heat that may represent an
important potential target for geothermal exploration purposes. In
particularly, the study of calderas is of great relevance because these
volcanoes consist of large volcanic structures (with depressions usually
larger than 2 km in diameter) associated with voluminous magmatic
reservoirs that have protracted residence times. The finding of the most
favorable thermal conditions in calderas to develop a long-lasting
geothermal reservoir is a challenging task that requires a solid geologic
knowledge based on a comprehensive integration of their volcanologic,
magmatic and structural evolution in order to reveal their internal
structure and unravel the evolution of the magmatic plumbing system and the
permeability conditions that allow the ascent of hot fluids to the surface.
Regardless of the large number of contributions on this field, we recognize
it is far to be well understood, and therefore we still need to learn how
the associated geothermal system is originated and developed through time.

We encourage contributions of multiple disciplines associated with calderas
and geothermal energy including: stratigraphy, internal structure, magma
plumbing system, eruptive history, porosity and permeability, lithofacies,
subsurface geology, geophysical surveys, geochemical characterization,
geothermal alteration, 3D models, hydrologic conditions, tectonic setting,
physical volcanology.

*Conveners:* G. Carrasco-Núñez, G. Giordano, N. Geshi, D. Gravely

*Symposia details:*
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://confer.eventsair.com/iavcei2023/scientific-symposia__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!b72uQqpm9KSL1GoRwqZoWAi34IbxervkMrqBI_pKfgJ4EFkR_XICtNHbywnFMddxG2DqxZVT1Y-snEvt$

<
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://confer.eventsair.com/iavcei2023/scientific-symposia__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!Ywf97ZdPOJr_3Jo3YM9h7nfbmn8lMqlHZ2ZUfdFsgCtaT64LfqFuztt_8ud-XmlJcX6gtrxKjh0JAXHU9qjfgiiijvw$