Call for abstracts for IAVCEI2023 session ​"Management of the Volcanological Data"

5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5

From: Giuseppe Puglisi <giuseppe.puglisi@xxxxxxx>

Dear Colleagues,

We would like to draw your attention to the following IAVCEI 2023 session
(Rotorua, NZ, 20 Jan - 3 Feb 2023):

*Symposium: Monitoring: developing new approaches and novel application of
existing technologies'*

*Session: Management of the Volcanological Data: from the production to the
curation*

This session is meant to give the volcanological community the opportunity
to update the exchange of experiences and discussion about this topic
started during the COV11, as well as to present new initiatives and
projects aimed at managing volcanic data in the broader framework of Open
Science. Indeed, the management of the data becomes an issue more and more
relevant to promote advancements in Volcanology. Not only because the
amount and quality of the volcanological data increased due to
technological progress and enlargement of the volcanological community. But
also because the pandemic highlighted how important it is to fully exploit
the opportunities offered by the development of the informatics and
Internet to share knowledge.

*Outlook*

*Volcanological data are heterogeneous in nature. They come from field
observations, ground based and remote sensing instruments, permanent
stations or campaign deployments, and include geochemical analyses,
geophysical time series, images, video, and other data types. These data
are collected, processed, and stored in different formats, with varying
levels of support and infrastructure, and are managed by diverse
institutions worldwide (observatories, universities, and research
institutions). Considering this framework, volcanologists have adopted
different approaches and solutions to manage their data. The range of data
management solutions reflects the goals with which the data are collected,
e.g. scientific monitoring, hazard mitigation/civil protection, research
projects. Technological evolution has added additional complexity to data
management. During recent decades, data acquisition has dramatically
increased in both quantity and quality, and previously analog data are now
routinely acquired digitally. The recent implementation of the â??Open
Scienceâ?? framework poses both technical and policy challenges to increasing
data access within the volcanological community. This session solicits
contributions on strategies and best practices being used and adopted by
the volcanological community in managing and distributing data. We will
discuss broad topics related to the application of the FAIR (Findability,
Accessibility, Interoperability, and Reusability) principle to
volcanological data, such as standardization of data and interoperability,
data archiving/repository infrastructures, data access policies, data
licensing, citation and publications. We also aim to stimulate a debate
about the capacity of the volcanological community to guarantee a long-term
curation of data for science reproducibility.*

We hope you consider submitting your abstract to our session at the link

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://confer.eventsair.com/iavcei2023/call-for-abstracts__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!ZJwa87HLsgPIph65eSBeA5YebmPjboHEiy5uRclr_tH7j8bW9qa6q19gcI-b8o8taARzzX7dW336E_iu$
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://confer.eventsair.com/iavcei2023/call-for-abstracts__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!baOQGiODsDff4FrdmCuTDsghQ2-VcdlpU-PsgHEEVr9IfnWlrkAXeadF8B3Lyx8LzW-fBIA80iq3UglNNXppyNPTyyw$>

The deadline is Friday 2 September 2022.

See you in Roturoa,

Giuseppe, Ben, Silvia, Sarah, Sue, and Christina

5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5