COMET Webinar: Dr Luke Wedmore - "Seismic hazard in East Africa from continental rifting of thick lithosphere"

2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

From: Chris Rollins <c.rollins@xxxxxxxxxx>

Dear Colleagues,

COMET (The Centre for Observation and Modelling of Earthquakes, Volcanoes,
and Tectonics) invites you to the next installment of our COMET webinar
series, viewable from the home office.

*Seismic hazard in East Africa from continental rifting of thick
lithosphere*

*Wednesday 19th January 4pm UK time* (3pm UTC / 5pm CEST / 8am PDT)

*Dr Luke Wedmore*

*University of Bristol, UK*

*Please register at: *
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://universityofleeds.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_BxLD0PxdR-WBrOCwwie2HA__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!Iff69pP_U3TJrLKfFFLLKVzzo_BUi_KgnqJJBEWMuNf6Mil99iPzsHpZi-Fhigs$
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://universityofleeds.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_BxLD0PxdR-WBrOCwwie2HA__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!L8D41Uqudg9LoiRk6NOHK3SHCjCItFshxyX_aHHqWrHeVGKej6rzvQIHvo39if8$>

(After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing
information on how to join the webinar)

*Abstract**:*

Poor quality buildings, high population density, rapid population growth
and lack of resilience means that seismic risk along the East African Rift
is high and rising all the time. Despite this, relatively little is known
about the history of earthquakes, the rate at which the region is
deforming, and how stress in the crust accumulates to overcome the strength
of the thick lithosphere in southern and eastern Africa.

In this webinar I will present results from a comprehensive study of
continental deformation and seismic hazard in the Malawi Rift. I will show
how continental and basin scale patterns of deformation are distributed
over a wider region and across more faults than had previously been
thought. Furthermore, I will present new GPS data that justifies the
existence of a previously unrecognised tectonic plate in southern Africa
(the San Plate). Finally, I will illustrate how observations of plate
extension rate and surface patterns of strain can be used to constrain
seismic hazard in regions that lack widespread palaeoseismic studies.

Catch up on past COMET and COMET+ webinars on our YouTube page:
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtFDytX1hgjvlS4NH48M2oQ/videos__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!Iff69pP_U3TJrLKfFFLLKVzzo_BUi_KgnqJJBEWMuNf6Mil99iPzsHpZ1zQAE1I$
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtFDytX1hgjvlS4NH48M2oQ/videos__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!L8D41Uqudg9LoiRk6NOHK3SHCjCItFshxyX_aHHqWrHeVGKej6rzvQIH7QEGS_o$>

2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2