Postdoc Position: Cornell Center for Atmospheric Sciences and Planetary Research

5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5

From: Esteban Gazel <egazel@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Cornell Center for Atmospheric Sciences and Planetary Research seeks a
postdoctoral scientist with knowledge on Earth and planetary materials,
melting processes, and experience with experimental petrology/geochemistry
and infrared spectroscopy. The postdoc will be part of the
interdisciplinary Carl Sagan Institute (CSI) at Cornell University and work
with Lisa Kaltenegger (Astronomy) and Esteban Gazel (Earth and Atmospheric
Sciences) in a project supported by the Heisting-Simons foundation to
experimentally explore the composition of exosolar lava planets. We have
two years of postdoctoral support as well as opportunities to present in
international conferences and be part of professional development programs
at Cornell. Ideally, we would like the postdoctoral scientist to start in
Spring 2022.

Earth started as a lava planet, covered by a magma ocean sustained by the
energy of accretionary impacts. Since then, the direct connections to our
origin as a lava world are mostly lost. However, the exciting discovery of
hundreds of lava worlds around other stars opens new opportunities to
explore what those planets are made of, as well as our primordial planetary
origin through the study of their composition. The first observations from
the surface of a lava world (LHS 3844) were recently done using the Spitzer
Space Telescope. This significant breakthrough demonstrates that we will be
able to observe the surface of more lava worlds in the future.
Nevertheless, the biggest challenge we face as new data become available is
that we cannot interpret the observations made by current (Spitzer and
Hubble) and upcoming telescopes (e.g., James Webb Space Telescope) without
a library of experimentally observed spectra of hot and molten surfaces and
their potential outgassed atmospheres. The project "Laboratory Exploration
of Lava Worlds" will provide these critical experimental data to explore
the surface and atmospheric compositions of lava planets and help identify
tell-tale signs of different materials to give us insight for the
interpretations of future exoplanet observations.

The postdoctoral associate will conduct the experiments, produce
measurements of the reflectivity and emission spectrum of representative
composition surfaces as well as their chemistry, and interpret/model
results, with the goal of providing the data necessary for future
observations of lava worlds. The project requires bi-weekly presentations
with advancement on the project to the PIs and during the CSI monthly
meetings, the publication of results in peer-reviewed journals, and the
development of a catalog of spectra that will be released by the end of the
project.

Applicants are encouraged to contact Prof. Esteban Gazel (egazel@xxxxxxxxxxx)
to discuss the project. Applications must be submitted through Academic
Jobs Online using this link https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://academicjobsonline.org/ajo/jobs/20618__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!JCbZ9J3CwM5j1_2j52nRIKBRzpZtpQd39jb-7ToDCM0AZ33N1Xuy4l0_rZ9t5Hw$

Diversity and inclusion have been and continue to be a part of our
heritage. Cornell University is a recognized EEO/AA employer and
educator. *Diversity
and Inclusion are a part of Cornell University's heritage. We are a
recognized employer and educator valuing AA/EEO, Protected Veterans, and
Individuals with Disabilities. We also recognize a lawful preference in
employment practices for Native Americans living on or near Indian
reservations*

5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5

Volcano Listserv is a collaborative venture among Arizona State University
(ASU), Portland State University (PSU), the Global Volcanism Program (GVP)
of the Smithsonian Institution's National Museum of Natural History, and
the International Association for Volcanology and Chemistry of the Earth's
Interior (IAVCEI).

ASU - http://www.asu.edu/

PSU - https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://pdx.edu/__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!JCbZ9J3CwM5j1_2j52nRIKBRzpZtpQd39jb-7ToDCM0AZ33N1Xuy4l0_641Um40$

GVP - https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.volcano.si.edu/__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!JCbZ9J3CwM5j1_2j52nRIKBRzpZtpQd39jb-7ToDCM0AZ33N1Xuy4l0_cAnVzi0$

IAVCEI - https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.iavceivolcano.org/__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!JCbZ9J3CwM5j1_2j52nRIKBRzpZtpQd39jb-7ToDCM0AZ33N1Xuy4l0_VIYWPZ0$

signoff volcano

to: listserv@xxxxxxx, or write to: volcano-request@xxxxxxx.

volcano@xxxxxxx.  Please do not send attachments.

End of Volcano Digest - 22 Nov 2021 to 29 Nov 2021 (#2021-114)