AGU Session: T003. Connecting the Ins and Outs of Subduction Zones: Experiments, Models, and Observations as Constraints for Inputs, Processes, and Outputs

2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

From: "SIM, SHI" <jssim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Greetings colleagues,

We seek your participation in our AGU 2021 Fall Meeting interdisciplinary
session focused on the inputs, outputs, and related processes in subduction
zones. Please consider submitting your abstract to our session and joining
us either in person or virtually at the AGU 2021 Fall Meeting in New
Orleans.

*T003. Connecting the Ins and Outs of Subduction Zones: Experiments,
Models, and Observations as Constraints for Inputs, Processes, and Outputs*

**Confirmed Invited speakers: *Christine Chesley*, Lamont-Doherty Earth
Observatory, Columbia University; *Cailey Condit*, University of
Washington**

Session Description:
Subduction zones affect the physical and chemical evolution of Earth by
recycling material back into the mantle and facilitating fluid and mass
flux between the surface and interior. Some of the most devastating hazards
on Earth, such as the transient release of accumulated stress and pressure
during earthquakes and volcanic eruptions, are strongly influenced by the
availability, quantity, and composition of these subduction inputs.
Therefore, understanding how subduction zone dynamics affect our planet and
society requires detailed studies of the mass cycle architecture, from the
initial inputs, material processing and segregation, and the final outputs.
Particularly important is connecting the geological and geochemical
observations of exhumed terranes and arc outputs with geophysical imaging
of active systems and geodynamic modeling across all spatial and time
scales for a holistic understanding of mass cycling. This session welcomes
geologic, geochemical, geodynamic, geophysical, experimental, and
interdisciplinary contributions that place constraints on subduction zone
processes.

Kind regards,
Justin Estep
Maryjo Brounce