AGU 2021 Session PP009: Large Igneous Provinces

1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1

From: Isabel Fendley <isabel.fendley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Dear Colleagues,

We would like to invite submissions to our session at the 2021 AGU Meeting.

 *PP009* *- Environmental Effects and Eruptive Dynamics
of Large Igneous Provinces: a Multidisciplinary Perspective*

Large igneous province (LIP) eruptions frequently coincide with complex
environmental changes, including mass extinctions, which encompass a broad
spectrum of timescales. Our scientific understanding of LIP eruptive
dynamics is rapidly improving through new geochronology, paleomagnetism,
geochemistry, and proxy records such as mercury. Similarly, an increasing
number of paleoenvironmental proxies (carbon, oxygen, lithium, boron,
osmium, strontium) are providing high-resolution records of the
environmental changes occurring simultaneous to LIP eruptions. Advances in
modeling of eruptive processes and their climate impacts provide a
framework to predict the types and magnitude of environmental
perturbations. However, scientists working on each of these aspects are
frequently isolated. There is a need for an integrated perspective to
assess whether the multiproxy records are consistent with eruptive
histories and model-simulated environmental effects, and for new ideas to
address potential discrepancies. To that end, we invite submissions to a
cross-disciplinary session from researchers working on any aspect of LIPs.

Please consider submitting an abstract any time from now until the *4th
August deadline* at
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm21/prelim.cgi/Session/123757__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!KXAbP3m5O5Z9l5rCpg6wMRvXd0FGJrX-jzHVewAAyFNvO3IUIf4plz-oabG_Dq4$
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm21/prelim.cgi/Session/123757__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!IBmtSUr3PxhN_6zv04XqrL22uwvkCx7XFs6C6cpnyX6zCQMbTGECidBYDAB5CW0$>.
The session will potentially be a hybrid of online and in-person - however
virtual presentations will definitely be an option. Please feel free to
reach out to us if this is of particular importance to you. We are looking
forward to an exciting session!

Best Regards,

Session conveners:

Isabel Fendley (University of Oxford, isabel.fendley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx)

Courtney Sprain (University of Florida)

Tamsin Mather (University of Oxford)

Brian Kelley (Pennsylvania State University)

1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1