AGU Session (GP012) on Paleomagnetic and rock magnetic methods applied to volcanology

3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3

From: Michael Ort <Michael.Ort@xxxxxxx>

Hello all,

We invite your contribution for the AGU session described below.  We are
really interested in any studies that use magnetic methods to better
understand volcanoes.   We expect to have a hybrid presentation format
(in-person and virtual).  The meeting web site is
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.agu.org/Fall-Meeting__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!JNeA5xmWTUqvUxozOM6ZNm_L7gR8VFzTM12Kal0hSnak_51FvrQ4AgWOxLx3XXY$
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.agu.org/Fall-Meeting__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!NXyOitiBk5C56gf-8hkG_xmek4qrWdA3r9JOhjWTucH7_Jrv_gj4kzV5_SeQo5I$>
and
abstracts are due 4 August, 2021.  The physical meeting will be in New
Orleans.  We hope to see, or â??seeâ??, you there.  Please feel free to contact
us with any questions (email addresses below).

Michael

*GP012  Paleomagnetic and rock magnetic methods applied to volcanology*

*Paleomagnetism and rock magnetism are powerful tools for studying volcanic
processes. Magnetic fields recorded by lava or pyroclastic flows can
provide emplacement age estimates. Remanence and rock magnetic properties
can act as a cross-correlation tool between different units. Anisotropy of
magnetic susceptibility can constrain subsurface magmatic complexes.
Additionally, progressive thermal demagnetization can help distinguish
between hot and cold deposits and provide emplacement temperatures
estimates - both important for hazard assessment. Magnetic techniques have
revealed many aspects of volcanoes, but many more revelations are
anticipated. We welcome contributions on the recent advancements in
utilizing paleomagnetism and rock magnetism to study volcanic processes and
materials.*

Conveners:
Elisa Piispa (ejpiispa@xxxxxxx)
Julie Bowles (bowlesj@xxxxxxx)