Planning stages for the Hutton Conference, summer 2023

2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

From: Bachmann  Olivier <olivier.bachmann@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Dear all,

We are glad to be in a position to give you (very) preliminary information
on the future Tenth Hutton Symposium on Granites and related Rocks, to be
held in Baveno (near Milano, in Italy) in September 2023.

After two years of CoVid and all sort of restrictions, it is indeed our
pleasure to be able to start planning again - bearing in mind that we are
still in the earliest stages of planning. Still, we would like to hear from
the granite community as a whole what you think and what you would like to
see and hear in a future Hutton.

The key place to go to is

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://padlet.com/jfmoyen/huttonX__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!Ia0p30BwVxvPnANIU1UqBrq_616yceXHzwWoqF8vv005EMU1yQgIemxgrRemfoA$
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://padlet.com/jfmoyen/huttonX__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!MKIQX7258ClUtQcBmYTGHKT2uKhslk9DZzVBmTUXXc9_w9n1ehiZ-wnokcUsQ6o$>

More details, read below...

Jeff Moyen, on behalf of organizing committee

At the Hutton X in 2019, an international group including Olivier Bachmann
(ETH Zürich, Switzerland), Federico Farina (Milano, Italy) and myself
(Saint-Etienne, France) proposed to organise the next Hutton conference.
Together with the field trip leaders (list to be finalized), we will form
an "organizing comittee" of 5-10 person sharing the responsibility for
actual organization and planning of the conference. Finances and payment
will be managed by one of our institutions.

In addition, we are setting up a wider "scientific comittee", tasked with
helping in defining the scientific content, program, themes etc. of the
conference. Beyond that, we need input from all the researchers potentially
interested in participating. This is of course where you, the
magmatic/granite community, comes into play !

The main thing to discuss at that stage is the format and contents of the
conference. As you probably all know, over the years the Hutton has evolved
towards something closer to a "workshop" format with long keynotes and very
few talks for other participants. While we acknowledge that this is an
extremely efficient format in particular for young researchers, we wish to
tilt the balance a little bit towards something closer to a more
"traditional" conference, with the goal of promoting debate and
interactions between the participants.

Thus, we propose to keep the long keynotes (45 mn + questions), but limit
them to two per day (so 8 in total), and use the freed time for "regular"
15 mn talks (allowing for an extra 6 talks per day, for a total of 24).
Clearly this implies that all participants won't be able to get an oral
slot - posters will still remain very central to the format of the Hutton.
We aim to have the posters on display for the whole week, and have the
coffee etc. breaks in the same space. Based on past numbers, we could have
perhaps 100 posters.

The aim of keynotes, thus, would be (i) to give a state of the art of a
given topic, including controversies, disagreements, etc. (and thus would
very probably involve relatively senior people) and (ii) to describe a new
field of investigation in granite research (for instance, "the use of
non-conventional isotopes in granite petrology", to cite only the first
example that crossed our mind), and for those, we'd invite an
early/mid-career researcher.

Thus, we need your input on two key questions:

*- What are the main themes, outstanding unresolved questions, points of
debate, disagreement, and controversy, that you think we should cover?*

*- What would you like to hear as a keynote - either in terms of "a keynote
by so-and-so", or "a talk on this topic".*

Although we think the granite-research list should remain a central point
for granitologist, we are trying to throw a wider net here and involve
people from beyond the traditional granite community. Thus, the debate will
be held and hosted at https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://padlet.com/jfmoyen/huttonX__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!Ia0p30BwVxvPnANIU1UqBrq_616yceXHzwWoqF8vv005EMU1yQgIemxgrRemfoA$
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://padlet.com/jfmoyen/huttonX__;!!IKRxdwAv5BmarQ!MKIQX7258ClUtQcBmYTGHKT2uKhslk9DZzVBmTUXXc9_w9n1ehiZ-wnokcUsQ6o$>
,
which in addition will offer a unique, central repository to keep track of
all the ideas. Thanks for your participation!

Some practical information - extremely preliminary at that stage, but
hopefully, enough to give you some orientation. We hope to be able to give
you more definitive information towards the end of this year:

1) Logisitics. The conference should be held in Baveno, N. Italy. Baveno is
on the shore of Lago Maggiore, about one hour north of Milano. It is a
little bit to the South of the venue we originally had in mind (Locarno),
which turned out to be too small. We plan it for mid-September 2023 (either
11-15 or 18-22 September 2023, depending on availability).

Baveno can easily be reached from Milano Malpensa airport (one of Europe's
main hubs), either by driving or by train (every two hours, total trip
about 120 mn).

2) Field trips

As always, there will be both pre-and post-conference field trips of 4-6
days each. At that stage, we have in mind

- Calabria

- Bohemian Massif

- Adamello-Bergell

- French Massif Central

- Elba

- ? perhaps something in the French Alps

Most of the field trips will probably require an additional flight (or
train ride) between the trip area and Milano.

The mid-conference field trip will be in the Ivrea Zone (the Permian Baveno
granite actually represents the top of the Ivrea crustal section).

2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2